Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Here we go...adults more suited for this one...

Initially, I posted this on the other blog, but reading it I thought two things...one...it is too long for kids to be interested and two I think my humor is both over their heads and probably inappropriate, so here ya go. If you are stil interested in my ravings...read on.

The symphony is all around us. Well at least around our house beginning at 3:45 am. First it's the roosters, and then the doves and the finches join in at about six. This is great. Sort of like a free ticket to Carnegie hall every day! Yea~! Convincing? ay yie yie...

A quick visage into the depths of my soul...as we pulled into Haleiwa this afternoon, a large chicken sort of strutted across the road in front of my car. My impulse was to gun the engine and muster the massive horsepower of our minivan and leave that bird as nothing more than a skidmark. To smash it into oblivion as a reminder to all domestic fowl to fear me and observe a quiet existence in my presence. I did not do that, but thought I might as well confess my unfulfilled fantasy to the general public and add one more reason to not run for public office someday. It was lucky it was a hen.

Most of the past few days have been spent running around the island getting food, medical supplies and today had a couple of Dr. appointments. Heidi found an MD here about 5 min. away that she liked and had some testing done for another MD in TN that has some theories about our situation. So, in short we (read Heidi and I) have not really had much fun yet. Hopefully tomorrow we will be able to get on the beach and hang out w/ the girls. I did manage to get my feet wet today as the sun went down.

The weather has been a little cool by HI standards. Quite a bit of rain and clouds today and in the mid 70's. Generally, this is as bad as HI weather gets unless there's a giant storm over the islands. I think tomorrow will be sunny. Days begin calm with surf in the 5-7 range and then get windy at about 11. At 4 or so, the winds die down and the skeeters come out, but the water is awesome around then.

Yesterday, I did get the line in the water, but did not get anything. I reeled up a missing hook, so think I was cut off by a barracuda, which are prevalent here. Joe, it took me about 4 casts to get the 975 dialed in and distant. That reel is sweet. I'm having a little size envy with the neighbors here and their gigantic surf casting rods, so I might need to break down and buy one. I did cast mine as far as they were, but the hight of the line on the beach leaves me with some fear that i'll clothesline one of the joggers-by. I'm "hanging loose" on the offshore fishing until we figure out how to get some coverage for Heidi. I really can't leave the house at this point because getting around for her is not an option without some help. Its mostly the getting up from these low chairs that presents the problem, but nobody wants to be stuck in the same place for hours at a time, as much as I might try to convince her the importance of fresh fish, etc... Just kidding.

Shelby had a fever yesterday afternoon and slept from about 2pm through the night, except when she came in at 3:40am to let me know she was still not feeling well. I think the Roosters felt sorry for her too, because as soon as she got back to sleep that's when they started up. I think that some earplugs are going to be cheaper and easier to come by than C4, so I'll try that next. Thankfully, by this am, she was feeling better. I on the other hand passed out at about 3:30 for an hour because I am getting sleep deprived.

I'll close with a funny Country island anecdote today. As I perused the classifieds this afternoon at the clinic, I noticed a funny one. It read something like this under PETS:

Cute little ducklings, furry and free to a good home. NOT FOR EATING. call 808...

Looks like i'm not the only one with homicidal domestic fowl thoughts on the brain, though ducks are last on my long list.
Pau4nau , B.

6 comments:

Dave said...

Bill, Thanks for making my day with your levity even though you did cause a few co-workers to come into my office and ask me what was so funny. Glad things are working out so far (except for the roosters). We miss you guys already! It's great to read your blog and see the photos--especially of the girls. I'll show it to Livy tonight and I'm sure she'll have some retort to write the girls. Her and Bree are extremely jealous of the 2 months in Hi.
Dave

Dempsey said...

Cock Ring

OK,so if this is the "real" blog with no censors, then I'll start right in.

SOME UNSOLICITED, FRIENDLY ADVICE: Bill, it's natural to want to fit into your surrounding environment ... make some new friends, find the locals breakfast spots, discover the Maiu Wowie. You know, become less of a white boy and more of a Mauiian (or Mauiite or Mauier or just "Dude").

And, I can understand that news travels slowly to the middle of the Pacific, so I just want to warn you: they will eventually find out about Bad Newz Kennels and former-NFL-quarterback-turned-punk-ass-bitch, Michael Vick. Why is this important to your trip?

After your comments about being sleep deprived and the urge to decapitate a helpless hen ... anything can happen. In your search to fit in with the locals, you may be tempted to start the Bad Newz Cock-Fighting Ring. DON'T DO IT, BILL! Sure, you may make a few bucks on the side and a few new friends, but think your family first. If Vick would have just done that ... (scratch that, he actually still would have done what he did, so forget I ever wrote that and can't use backspace).

Remember, the cock is your friend (either). Who wouldn't be attracted to cocks (actually, just the bird in this scenario)- their colorful feathers, their soothing sounds at 3:45am, cuddly pets for the kids? You'll make peace.

So restrain yourself, get some sleep, get some breakfast, polish the rod (no comment) & do some fishing, dip your feet in the ocean ... and you will be just fine.

(it's a blog, it doesn't have to make sense).

Dr. Dempsey

WC said...

Come to think of it, Dr. Dempsey has a point. Bill, if you tan a little more, you may look like Michael Vick as well.
WC

S. Rask said...

Thanks for doing the blog. What a great way to stay in touch. Sorry you and the girls will miss the winter outing. Hmmm.....Frasier Colorado (Fighting it out for the title of Ice Box of America vs. Hawaii). Good call Bill. We will try to send you and the girls pictures.

Its funny how since you have left Weatherstone has lost the swinger reputation. Coicidence?

jkelly said...

Bill, your objections to the rooster's brings back fond memories of Puerto Rico. In the PR, our nemisis was the coqui frog. This particular frog gets it's name from it's call which sounds like "KO, KEEEEE!" at a decible level of about 85 with a particularly high pitch. Which does not sound like much but these guys are nocturnal and they are a little less than an inch long at maximum, which makes them practically impossible to find. Now in our house in PR, we actually had an indoor 10'x 10'garden where these little buggers hung out. Due to the moist climate in PR, we do not have any carpets. As a result you live in what is effectively a concrete box which ampliflies all sound especially the call of the cute little frogs. Clearly, cute to those that do not have them living in their house.

I can literally sleep through a hurricane. Mrs. Kelly on the otherhand awakens when the dog farts (its always the dog). She had such a hard time sleeping that she would not allow anyone to water the afore mentioned garden because the lack of water drove the coqui out of the house. In fact, we would find the dried up little bodies of these guys in the garden periodically. In fact, I think Mrs. Kelly (secretly)keeps a few of these little dead guys in a small jar as trophies. Admittedly, I always keep them in mind as to what might happen when you are dealing with a highly motivated sleep deprived banker from Mississippi . They are almost voodoo like and quite scary for a husband who may want to spend an extra hour at the bar or golf course. Additionally, it would not be unusual to find her stalking the garden at 2 or 3 in the morning looking to eradicate the little buggers.

Now here is the reason that I mentioned these cute little frogs....they have moved to Hawaii. The folks in PR love these little guys and they take great pride in them. I have read that the Hawaiians HATE these little guys. The Coqui's greatest predators tend to be snakes. But as you know there are no snakes in Hawaii. They are a real nuissance and pest for Hawaii. And they a multiplying as I type this note.

So in closing I state that Rooster's suck but be glad the Coqui hasn't shown up......yet.

We also had Cock fights in PR. Sometimes they were even on TV. Think ESPN for cocks.

Have you guys encountered any packs of stray dogs. I was wondering when the Puerto Rican's would import this valuable commodity to Hawaii. They really enhance the property values.

Geo said...

Aloha kakahiaka on this, Po’alua (poh ah-loo-ah), in Iaunuali (ee-ya-oo new-ahlee) to the Sedgwick Ohana.

Dempsey and JK are hapai ... I mean hohono.

Remember the best medicine is ... aka`aka.

A hui hou kakou.

Have fun looking these words up.

Keoki